If you follow me on Instagram you saw yesterday that I was baking a bit… I love testing out new recipes. Especially “healthier” dessert options. Hubs and I are both “fat-kids” at heart (meaning we love to eat, no offense meant) We bonded above our love of food from date numero uno. He’s always asking me what is for dessert tonight, honestly I usually point to the sugar-free popsicles in the freezer or some sort of sugar filled cookies that I caved and bought/baked. So to please his food loving heart every so often I bake him something yummy and healthier. I have some old standbys that he calls favorite but I really do love testing out new ones.
If you’ve followed me awhile then you already know I am a Pinterest FANgirl. I tend to pin&print like crazy and save all those ideas for a later date. I also ripe out pages from magazines to make “at a later date”. It’s hilarious the amount of printed untested recipes that live in our pantry. I may have mentioned it before we like to do “wacky wednesdays” for dinner so I can try out an idea once a week and not over shadow our old favorites. Hmm… that could be a good blog post series huh.
But I digress… back to the latest test recipe. Lucky for your sweet tooth it’s desert!! I suppose it could be a yummy breakfast side to some bacon/sausage & eggs also.
Low Fat Apple Cake
Source: originally from As Easy As Apple Pie, but modified by ME to fit our taste
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
Yield: 1 8 inch cake
2-3 small apples (take your pick I used Honeycrips, but Granny Smiths or Golden Delicious are what is recommended)
1/3 Cup + 1 Tbsp Coconut Palm Sugar (or light brown sugar if you don’t have coconut palm on hand)
the zest of 1 lemon, grated
a pinch of salt
a pinch of cinnamon
1 Cup minus 1 Tbsp of Gluten Free Flour (or All purpose Flour)
1/4 Cup + 1 Tbsp low-fat milk
3 tsp baking powder
Sugar to sprinkle on top
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2. Grease & flour a 8 inch pan, I used a round baking dish
3. Peel, core & thinly slice apples. Chop up about 2/3rds of them into smaller pieces
4. Put eggs, sugar, lemon zest, salt & cinnamon in a large mixing bowl and beat until thick & creamy.
5. Add in the flour, baking powder, milk and beat until well combined.
6. Add the 2/3rds chopped apples to the batter and use a spatula to mix.
7. Pour batter into prepared pan.
8. Arrange remaining apple slices over the top of batter.
10. Bake in oven for appx 30 minutes. Check and remove from oven when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Let Cool, then serve and enjoy. Or serve it warm with vanilla ice cream.
Give it a try and let me know what you think!!
Bye for now